"A little progress everyday adds up to big results"

Sunday 1 July 2012

My Charminar visit

                 During my stay at Hyderabad for Summer Research Fellowship, I went to Charminar. This blog is about my visit to Charminar.

Departure:
                       On the previous day of my visit, with the help of Google Maps, I found that there is no direct bus for Charminar from IIIT(Gachibowli). I had to go to a place called Lakdikapul first and from there I should go to Charminar in another bus. After having my breakfast in the IIIT bus stop, I boarded a bus for going to Lakdikapul. In the first bus, after buying the ticket, I told the conductor in Hindi that I don't know the stopping. He said that he would intimate me on reaching Lakdikapul.

Me at Lakdikapul:
                           After reaching Lakdikapul, I asked so many people, where would the bus towards Charminar stop. But, everyone replied that they don't know. With some assumptions (from the Google Maps), I reached a bus stop. I was stopping there so long. But, the bus towards Charminar didn't come for a long time. After inquiring many people, I was said that I was standing in the right stopping only. Moreover, the language was also a problem for me. மொழி தெரியாமல், வழி தெரியாமல், விழி பிதுங்கி நின்றிருந்தேன். At last the bus came when it was about 45 minutes since I reached the stop.

Charminar:
                            Somehow, I reached Charminar around 10 am. The entry fee was Rs. 5 per head. Charminar is like a multi-storied building with steps having spiral structure. Each step differs in size. Thank God, we were not restricted to take photographs there. After going to the top, one could see all the 4 sides surrounded by streets. A security person was explaining about the architecture in Telugu to a family. Even I listened to him, but I couldn't understand much as I didn't know Telugu.

Mecca Masjid:
                           My mom had asked me to buy a pair of pearl bangles. So, after having my lunch, I inquired about the bangles in 3 to 4 shops and then bought a pair. Then, I went to Bhaghyalakshmi temple, which is immediately next to Charminar. Later, I went to Mecca Masjid, which is just opposite to Charminar. I had been into a Mosque for the first time in my life, on this day. I could see many doves coming to eat the grains that are being spilled in the Masjid by the pilgrims.

Golconda fort:
                           It was just 3 pm, by the time I see all these. Then, I decided to go to Golconda fort. After waiting for more than an hour, a bus towards Golconda came. After reaching Golconda, it was 5 pm and I was really very shocked to see the crowd and the traffic jam. Since, I need to travel a long to IIIT, I didn't enter Golconda fort. I reached Mehdipatnam (One of the famous bus stands at Hyderabad) in an auto and then reached IIIT through a bus from Mehdipatnam.

"It's always better to go out by knowing a language which is familiar to the people living there"

No comments:

Post a Comment