"A little progress everyday adds up to big results"

Sunday 10 June 2012

My visit to Birla Temple and Birla Planetarium

                          It was too boring for me at IIIT, Hyderabad when I went for an internship during my second year summer vacation. My mom was insisting me to go somewhere out, especially to the Birla Temple. So, I have decided to go on a Sunday.

Preparations:
                     On June 9th, with the help of google maps, I found out the guidelines for going to Birla Temple from IIIT and also found that Birla Planetarium is very close to the temple. I have decided to go there the next day ( Sunday, 10th June, 2012 ).

Starting of my journey:
                         After asking the location of the bus stop to one of the securities of IIIT, I went to the stop. A bus came in 10 minutes. With a little hesitation whether or not the bus will go to Birla Temple bus stop, I boarded and asked ( while standing in the steps ) a person ( a policeman ), who was sitting in the first row of the bus, whether the bus will go to Birla temple. He replied in positive and asked me to sit next to him in action. I did so.

Bus ticket:
                        That policeman asked me something in Telugu. I said that I don't know Telugu and Hindi. He asked me where actually I am going, in English. I said that I am going to Birla Temple. When the conductor came and asked for the ticket, that policeman himself told "1 Birla Temple" and I gave a 10 rupees note to the conductor. When the conductor asked for 2 more rupees ( as the ticket was 12 rupees ), the policeman translated it for me, though I understood the words of the conductor. The policeman asked the conductor ( in Telugu ) to intimate me on the bus reaching Birla Temple stop.

On the way:
                        On the way I could see a vehicle sweeping the road and the other one pouring water to the plants in the median, at 7:30 am. The policeman informed me that he is going to alight and added that my stopping is 5 stops next. He also informed the driver to intimate me on reaching Birla Temple and alighted the bus. On reaching the stop, the driver and the conductor intimated me and I alighted.

At Birla Temple:
                    Finally, after asking the route from 3 people, I reached Birla Temple. There, the temple is wonderful. The whole building is made up of crystals. After admiring at the architecture, I entered and worshiped Lord Venkateshwara. As soon as I came out after my prayer, I could see a view of Hyderabad as if it's seen from a 6 or 7 storied building. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to take mobiles or cameras inside. I also saw a lake with some fountains and the morning breeze ( around 8 am ), pleased me. Though, I know that the temple's beauty is much more reflected during the night time, I couldn't stay that long. Here are some pictures of Birla Mandir obtained from the internet.


At Birla Planetarium:
                       After returning back from the temple, I had my breakfast in a nearby hotel and went to the Birla Planetarium which is next to the temple. But, the ticket counter to enter the planetarium had not been opened at 9:45. Many people, including school students, were curiously waiting for the counter to open. Everyday there are shows ( in Telugu, Hindi and English ) at the planetarium, among which the shows in English are at 11:30 am, 4 pm and 6 pm. A science museum is also located inside the planetarium itself. After opening of the counter around 10:45 am, I got the tickets for both the planetarium show ( at 11:30 ) and for the science museum.

Science museum:
                      I remember, when I was a kid, I have been to a Science museum at Bangalore. With full of curiosities, I entered the museum at 11 am. There were many instruments each depicting a science experiment. I just had a overview of what are available in the museum and the time was 11:33. I rushed to the planetarium. I was asked to switch off my mobile and I did it. The show had started. But, then, some other people who came late and I were taken inside a dark room. Later they took into the theater where the show was held. Due to the darkness, I couldn't move and I was standing still. I could see 2 small dots ( as stars ) in the side wall. After some time, I was guided and asked to sit in a vacant place.

A visit to the Solar System:
                        After sitting and leaning back, I could see a number of stars and objects in the ceiling of the doom shaped theater. Starting from Mercury till Neptune, each and every planet were described in detail along with some videos and an illusion of what one would see, if he/she is landing in that particular planet. Being a lover of Space Science since my childhood, I enjoyed the journey to the Solar System. After a 45 minute travel in the solar system, I went back to the Science Museum.

Pictures of Birla Planetarium





Back to museum:
                         Some of the experiments which I liked were, the depiction of Pythagoras theorem, optical illusion experiments, density and refractive index variation of water with change in temperature, periscope to see the happenings at the 1st floor from the ground floor, etc. Some people were taking notes of whatever they see. Simply saying, Science Museum is place for enjoyment for kids, knowledge zone for students and entertainment zone for others. Later, I also happened to see a skeleton of a Dinosaur. Here are some pictures of Birla Science Museum.



1 comment:

  1. Very nice post. Thanks for sharing. The Birlas are one of the biggest names associated with the industrial development in India. They are the pioneers in the field of Science and technology in the country. The Birla group has taken this initiative in Kolkata and had established a museum to display their achievements and offer opportunity for the younger generation to learn the basic concepts of science. Explore more about Birla Museum Kolkata.

    ReplyDelete