"A little progress everyday adds up to big results"

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Our first fellowship story

Confused?
                     One might wonder seeing the title, why I have used 'our' instead of 'my'. Because, Vignesh Jagadeesan, one of my best friends, and me applied for the fellowship together. This article will explain the problems that we faced for our first fellowship.

Preparation:
                     It was the time, when we were just back from International Collegiate Programming Contest Regionals ( ICPC-2012 )  held at Amrita University, Coimbatore during December 2011. We just saw the data to be filled in the application form for the Indian Academy of Sciences ( IAS ) fellowship. Mr. K. Saravanan, my class councellor and Ms. Theetchanya, Vignesh's class councellor helped us for applying to this fellowship. Everything else in the application form, except the list of (5) guides preferred and statement of interest, were easily fillable by us. 

Statement of interest:
                    So, we approached my HOD, Dr. J. Akilandeswari for preparing the statement of interest. She helped us and initially we chose 'Opinion Mining' and had prepared the report. HOD had thought that the fellowship is a team one. But, later when she realized that it's individual, she asked one of us to choose different topic. So, I prepared a report on 'Social Network analysis' ( Finding Similar Users in Facebook ). We have applied for it On-line ( with very less hope ) after getting recommendation letter from corresponding HODs.

Problem with post:
                     Both of us, posted the On-line filled application form, together, on 2nd January, 2012 ( my birthday ). But, Vignesh's post had reached them whereas mine had not. This is still a miracle. On tracking the post, the status was delivered. But, then, I kept on getting remainder emails from the academy to post the application form. So, I got signature in all the required forms from my HOD and resent it.

Selection:
                   Days rolled over and we weren't watching for the selection curiously. We also applied for fellowship at IIT-Delhi. After 3 days of applying to IIT-Delhi fellowship, on March 1st, my department was in the symposium mood which was to be held on the next day. Vinoth Kumar, one of my best friends, was practicing for his dance and I was with him. Unexpectedly, I got a mail alert on my mobile with from address pointing to the academy mail. With much curiosity, I checked mail from Vinoth's laptop and on seeing it I called Vignesh and called him to check the mail. He checked and obviously, he was also selected.

Guides:
                  Vignesh's guide was Prof. Sushmita Mitra, ISI, Kolkata and
                  my guide was Dr. Kishore S. Prahallad, IIIT, Hyderabad.

Happiness:
                  Immediately we told both the HODs. They were really happy. We thought that we have to go to Bangalore for fellowship and our guides will also come there. I went home fearing whether or not my mother will allow me for it. But, she wasn't there when I went home. I went through the mail in depth and realized that we must go to the respective locations of our guides. When my mom came home after 8pm or so, I told her. To my surprise, she accepted and also Dr. Dhanalakshmi ( Homeopathic doctor ) who was residing opposite to my house also asked my mom to send me.

Mother's meeting with HOD:
                  Though my mother had accepted, she had a doubt whether it would be useful or not. I asked her to come and clarify it with HOD. But, then trusting me, she said that it was not necessary. One day, I applied for passport in college. I left out 10th mark list in home and went. But, since, they asked it, I asked my father to bring. My mother brought it. I asked my mom to meet HOD. She did. HOD said that it would be useful and was a wonderful opportunity that one wouldn't easily get. My mother became confident.

Booking the train tickets:
                  As we would be leaving in summer vacation, we would not be able to get the train tickets, if we booked late. So, even before the announcement of time-table, we had to book tickets. Fortunately, when we were in chaos for more than an hour without knowing whom to ask, we happened to meet first year dean, Dr. K. Karunakaran. He gave the mobile number of deputy COE, Prof. S. Radjarejesri. We called her and she told that all the exams would be over by 10th of May. So, we booked the train tickets for the respective destinations. 

The Great Mind Challenge:
               Vignesh and I were doing an IBM project for a web-design contest titled 'The Great Mind Challenge' at that time along with 2 more friends. But, since we wouldn't be able to complete the project, we completed only the design part and didn't do database connectivity. 

Mini-project evaluation:
              I had to do a mini-project with two of my friends ( Ramki and Sasidharan ) for which 2 credits are allotted during the fourth semester and the evaluation dates ( June 11 & 12 ) had been fixed as soon as the college reopens ( June 11 ). So, I asked my HOD, whether anything could be done. But, then, since her reply was in negative, I booked train tickets to come back to Salem on June 10th and return back to Hyderabad for fellowship on July 11th, after confirming to my guide whether the break is acceptable.

Special Interest evaluation:
            Later we came to know that the special interest ( which had no credits, yet cleared/not cleared was based on it ) evaluation, which is common for all departments, is also going to be conducted after the reopening of the college ( June 15th and 16 ). Upon requesting, my HOD asked principal and COE, to reschedule the entire evaluation dates on June 13th and 14th just for me ! ( since I will be here for mini-project evaluation on June 11th ). So, again I booked the train ticket to return to Hyderabad on July 14th. Though I felt, that it was okay, I felt really bad about Vignesh's situation as he had to come all the way from Kolkata ( via Chennai ) which would take around one week ( for his arrival, evaluation and departure ). Even he booked the train tickets for his return and departure to Kolkata.

An unexpected turning point:
           During the study holidays, Vignesh's class councellor, Ms. Theetchanya, who helped us a lot in applying for the fellowship, called me and asked to tell Vignesh that the Special Interest evaluation had been postponed to some other date. As the college reopening date had been postponed to June 18th, the mini-project evaluation was postponed to June 19th and 20th whereas special interest evaluation was postponed to June 21st and 22nd. We felt too bad. I called my microprocessor sir, Mr. Ilanchezian, who was also working as Assistant COE, and conveyed our situation. I just told him the situation ! He had requested Deputy COE, to advance both the mini-project and special interest evaluations for both of us before we leave Salem for our fellowship ! We felt really happy and canceled the unwanted tickets. Vignesh and I had successfully completed the evaluations and then, departed to Kolkata and Hyderabad respectively, for our fellowship.

People whom we should thank:
            During that period, a lot of people helped us both directly and indirectly. Here I am listing the people who helped us a lot for our fellowship and without whom, our fellowship could not have been peaceful.
Dr. J. Akilandeswari,
Dr. B. Sathyabama,
Dr. B. Saravanen,
Dr. K. Karunakaran,
Ms. Theetchanya,
Mr. K. Saravanan,
Mr. P. Ilanchezian

"Apart from these, we faced some more problems, which I am unable to post publicly".

No comments:

Post a Comment