"A little progress everyday adds up to big results"

Tuesday 29 May 2012

My programming journey

Before starting to learn programming:
                                  I started programming ( of course 'C' )  in late 2009, when I was studying in my 11th standard. Before I was taught programming, I just went through the text book ( two volumes for Computer Science and C was in the second volume ) given to us. In the exercises part of the 'C' lesson, I saw a numerous problems ( to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, to find the number of days between two dates, to find the perfect number, etc ). As Computer is not a subject in school days ( though I had studied Computer during my 8th standard in Matriculation ), I was wondered to see those problems and was admired how one could solve them.

Initial programming classes:
                                   Later, the most awaited day came. We were taught C. But, then, initially we were taught the history of C and then theoretical parts like keywords, tokens, etc. Then, we were taught how to program. At this point, I must thank my Computer Teacher Mr. Yuvaraj. Initially I was very blank.

A program written on a paper:
                                   Then, my cousin ( Ms. Usha ) got married to Mr. Shivaraman. He asked me to write a simple program which calculates the total, average, result, etc of a 10th student. It was the time when there was no system in my house. I tried to write that program in a notebook. It went to 2 or 3 pages. After that, one day, I went to my cousin's ( Mr. Kannan ) house and typed that program by seeing the notebook ( and it was the time, I didn't know typing ). I searched for every letter and typed. I didn't compile the program, till I finish typing the entire code.
                          
Type-over mode and compile-time errors:
                                   Moreover, the cursor was in 'Type-over' mode. I didn't know how to correct it. If I had left any line, I typed everything once again starting from that line. After I completed typing the entire code, I compiled. I got 25 errors ( Turbo C compiler ). I couldn't trace out the problem and I left it on that day.

Run-time errors:
                                  Later, in school, when I was telling this story, my friend , Vikram, told that it was not 'studio.h' and it's 'stdio.h'. Then, I changed it, some one or two errors were there. After I correct, I ran it. But, the results produced were not as expected. I checked all the conditions. When I asked for help from my cousin ( Mr. Kannan ), he gave me a program and asked me to use it. But then, I was not completely satisfied. I came to know that I had missed '&' in scanf statements. Then, I started learning programming little by little.

                                And later, I learned C++ in 12th. Again C was taught in 1st and 2nd semesters. C++ in depth in 3rd semester. I must thank Mr. K. Saravanan and Mr. S. Lakshmanan for making me understand the coding concepts deeper. I learned Java during my 4th semester on my own and at the end of second year, during my fellowship, I started developing android applications.
                                  

2 comments:

  1. Hmm !
    Your journey is interesting.
    A child starts to crawl, then it falls many times, initially, when it starts to walk. Who knows ?, he may be an athlete in the future.

    ReplyDelete